Wednesday, November 11, 2009

World of Warcraft... In School?




My esteemed colleague, Annie, and I have been engaged in an ongoing battle concerning the epic MMORPG, World of Warcraft.

In particular, the argument has been about my supposed "addiction" to the game. While I will make the concession that I could be doing more productive things with my time--like finally getting around to reading The Brothers Karamazov, writing my great American novel, or feeding my dog--I still affirm that WoW is a fun, exciting way to spend some recreational time. As for the term "addiction," it is entirely subjective.

It was my surprise to discover that World of Warcraft is being used in an afterschool program to help instruct at-risk students. According to the program's founder, this game helps teach "literacy and writing, mathematics, social interaction, 21st-Century technology skills, Digital Citizenship, [and] Leadership."For more information, please check out this website.


The war rages on.



No comments: