Thursday, April 12, 2007

Rest in Peace -- Kurt Vonnegut (1922-2007)


I first discovered Kurt Vonnegut as part of a 9th Grade, extended reading program (Thanks Mrs. Chanson!). While I can't say I enjoyed every book in the program (I'm still not a fan of Dorian Grey, despite my love Wilde's plays.)I was immediately enthralled by Vonnegut's playful use of language and absurdity in sharing some remarkably deep ideas.


Through the year's I've picked up Cat's Cradle, Slaughter House 5, and Breakfast of Champions time and again, and each time, I'm thrilled to find something new. Each time, I'm delighted to find that a re-read of his books doesn't dilute the joy that comes from his books.

Vonnegut died last night after a fall last week left him with irreversible brain injuries. He will be sorely missed by fans across the globe, but his works will live on thanks to fans, teachers, and students who will continue to be delighted for generations to come.

RIP --Kurt Vonnegut (1922-2007)

No comments: