- Who wrote the first modern ghost story in the English language?
- What famous American author's grandfather was the model for Oliver Wendell Holmes' “The Last Leaf,” a poem about a survivor to the Boston Tea party?
- Tattered Tom and Ragged Dick were the heroes in two books written by what nineteenth century American author?
- Who is the cocktail Brandy Alexander named after?
- What famous English writer, while living in Vermont, invented snow golf?
Last Week's Answers
What famous poet was known to his close friends by the nickname Junkets?
John Keats. He was given this nickname by his close friend, English critic, essayist, poet, and writer, Leigh Hunt.
What French novelist inadvertently provided actress Ruth Davis with her stage name, Bette Davis?
Honore de Balzac's 1840 novel Cousin Bette provided Davis with her stage name.
What Shakespearean character was based on a London doctor who served as Queen Elizabeth I's chief physician — until he was arrested and hanged for conspiring to kill her?
Shylock, the money-lender in The Merchant of Venice. The Doctor's name was Roderigo Lopez.
What two great writers died on the same day — April 23, 1616?
Shakespeare and Cervantes.
Which book did Americans rate as their favorite--second only to the Bible in 1900?
The Sears Roebuck Catalog.