The Cranky Language Lady: Wednesday Grammar Quiz for Grownups comes from CrankyLanguageLady.com. To find out more about the Cranky Language Lady, view sample pages from her new book, peruse her blog, or visit the website.
Grammar Quiz #24: Parenthesis: What's the Right Thing to Do
The world of parentheses can be a difficult one to navigate. Can you determine which two of the following sentences handle parentheses correctly? How would you correct the others? \
- The graduation speaker was not observant enough to notice the many signs of boredom throughout the audience (yawning, dozing, playing “Angry Birds.”)
- The graduation speaker was putting everyone to sleep. (His topic was Paradigms of the Future in a Global Economy).
- The graduation speaker (He was Dr. Arlington Keller) was boring everyone to death with his uninspired topic, Stuff I Think.
- Zachary slept (as in snored) through the graduation speech.
- The audience burst into enthusiastic applause (were they just happy it was over?) when the graduation speaker finally sat down.